In this beyond the book activity inspired by Square, you can create your very own Square and Circle characters using just a sponge and some paint!
To set up this activity, you'll need:
- Kitchen sponges (at least 2)
- Paint - black if you'd like to create Square and Circle
- Paper plate (for putting paint on)
- Googley eyes (optional)
- Using scissors, help your little one to cut each sponge into the shape of their choice. Try a square or circle to make the characters from the book, or try other shapes e.g., triangle is an easy one!
- Squirt out some paint on a paper plate and dip the sponge, being sure to cover the whole shape. It might be helpful to use a paintbrush to paint the paint directly on the sponge.
- Put the sponge paint-side down onto the paper and press firmly. Lift up and check out your artwork!
- Once dry, you can add on extra features, like the characters' feet or glue on googley eyes!